Best explanation to understand and solve the logarithm problems
Logarithm topic have a great place in aptitude division, and which is most necessary in competitive exams.
Most of the competitive entrance exam, SSC and bank exams contain at least one question from the topic “logarithms”, but the aspirants are really scared of this topic because of the lack of understanding.
Here we discuss the basic definition, properties of logarithms in math, problems and examples, how to solve logarithm by using some tricks and extended practical application of the concept of logarithms.
A basic understanding of the concept and rules of logarithms help the aspirant to answer the direct questions as well as indirect application questions from this area.
What is meant by logarithm?
Logarithm is the power, which a number must be raised in order to get some other number.
It has 3 types, common logarithm, natural logarithm, binary logarithm. For example, 2 is the logarithm of 100 to the base 100 = (2 log10 100)
1. The logarithm to base 10 (b= 10) is called the common logarithm and has many applications in science and engineering.
2. The natural logarithm has the irrational (transcendental) number e (≈ 2.718) as its base; its use is widespread in pure mathematics, especially calculus.
3. The binary logarithm uses base 2 (b = 2) and is prominent in computer science
How to solve logarithm by using some tricks?
For using tricks to solve the problem is an art, but our question is how to use the tricks?
Don’t worry…. Here we provide some simple and easy ways to solve the problems in an easy manner.
- It base is not mentioned, then always remember to take it 10.
- Logarithms are opposite to exponential which means logs inverse of exponentials.
- Few things to remember – log of numbers (2 to 10)
1. Log 2 = 0.301
2. Log 3 = 0.477= 0.48
3. Log 4 = 0.60
4. Log 5 = 0.698 = 0.7
5. Log 6 = 0.778 = 0.78
6. Log 7 = 0.845 = 0.85
7. Log 8 = 0.90
8. Log 9 = 0.954= 0.96
9. Log 10 = 1
Logarithms Example Question and Answer
Here we will see how this works with an example problems